Saturday, November 10, 2007

We've arrived!!!


After a long journey we arrived. The night we left Bend for the final time.... was a Sunday. Our house finally rented, we began our drive at an early 9:30 PM. The two of us, two cars, three dogs, and sailboat in tow. We had finally reached the halfway mark, when the road got really bumpy. I decided to just ignore it and hope that it would smooth out, but it didn't, it got worse. Then out of my periphery I see what looks like my tire roll past me on the road, as the car screeches to a halt. OOPS, It was my tire, or rather, I had sheared the tire off of the rim. So, in the dark barely off the road, Zach put the spare tire on for the remainder of our journey. The directions said not to drive over 45, but I drove on that donut for the next 2 hours at 70mph. Home 2:30am, off to sleep.
The next morning I called my new employer, Fairchild Medical Center, in Yreka, CA. "Can you come in tomorrow for orientation?" My new life had begun. I worked the next 4 days in a row. 12hour shifts. Talk about into the fire, I barely had my toothbrush unpacked. At Fairchild you do a little of everything. I work Med-Surg, ICU, and Recovery room. The best news of all is that they offered me a day shift position. The week before I arrived a long time ICU nurse, retired early and somewhat unexpectedly. Wow, funny how things work out.
Zach has been really busy weather proofing our turn of the century farm house. He has also been building a deck in front for the hot tub. It has been fun, but a lot of work. We have some orchards that need a lot of TLC that we have been unable to attend to, and the list goes on and on... We are still waiting to get satellite internet hooked up, so our internet access is limited. It has been a big change, living out in the country.

So.... I could go on and on, but I'll try to wrap it up. The weather has been beautiful. Walking out onto the porch and seeing the mountain right there in our front yard, I still laugh a little each time unable to believe I live here. We have a huge owl living in our barn. There is a family of deer (around 30) that hang out on the lower 40 acres. When they lay in the grass all you see are their big ears. The dogs think they have died and gone to heaven. It's so quiet here. We are on top of a hill, at the end of a dirt road. Right now all I can hear are the wind chimes on the porch. (Thanks Kyle and Corey) The water has no chlorine, so my skin feels so good after a shower. We have a wood stove that keeps the house so warm. The ceilings are vaulted, with oak floors, and marble door knobs. The house was built in 1909, and according to neighbors and friends. In it's history, it has housed a coven of witches, a bootlegger and a Buddhist. The Buddhist was the most recent inhabitant and the property has been balanced with crystals. There is a Buddha surrounded by crystals up on the hill that watches over the property.
We are happy. We miss a lot of different things about Bend, and living in a town, but we miss our friends the most. Come visit.

6 comments:

Corey said...

I teared up a bit reading this... we sure do miss you guys! The place looks great - and so peaceful. We can't wait to come visit. Keep in touch! Love- C, K, and Big Ben

Amy said...

Hi Rachel and Zach! Congratulations! Your new home sounds amazing. Those photos are wonderful. Bend misses you, please let us know when you come back for a visit. Happy Thanksgiving. Amy & Brad

rjhanis said...

Happy thanksgiving Zach and Rae,

I posted your blog on my family page so get ready for the next big reunion to be there! My AR family will bring you more crystals! We miss you guys and can't wait to get down and see you and the crew...
Enjoy your day!
Love you,
Mom and Dad

Melissa said...

Once again, I am so damn happy you're in Cali. I have a car now, so I can come see you!!

Talana said...

Rachel and Zach your place looks absolutely beautiful! The pictures make your place look like something you might see in a movie. I love your house it is soooo cute!

Sandy is right you now know all the Nelson clan will want to come out for vacation.

We are moving to Arkansas and we will need all the information you guys have on raising chickens because we are planning on doing the same thing (Sophia is so excited!)

The place looks great!

Are you guys still doing the liquor business idea?

Keep up the blog it is great.

Sarah W. said...

Hi kids! You are country folk, now. The place looks gorgeous! Can't wait to come for a visit (Feb hopefully)and sit in the hot tub under the stars. Perhaps Michael will bring his guitar and we will rock n' roll.
Norma say 'hi'. Psych! She wants to sponser an experimental surgery for Strudel. We said no.
Seward St. isn't the same without you two. See you soon.